Lidl as a responsible retailer is committed to delivering as sustainable a development as possible and we pride ourselves on some pretty impressive green statistics.
We were one of the very first retailers to insist on payment for carrier bags back in 1994; an ethos we continue today throughout our entire European operation.
The proposed store will meet Lidl’s high sustainability standards which are intended to minimise environmental impact over the lifetime of the store.
- Our strict efficiency policies mean that store ordering levels are carefully monitored in order to minimise deliveries to two HGV deliveries per day. The returning HGV transports waste and recyclable material from the store to the nearest Regional Distribution Centre for processing. This ensures that the return journey is not a wasted trip and ensures our CO2 emissions are as low as possible;
- We are constantly improving our recycling levels. In 2012/13, the Regional Distribution Centre in Weston-Super-Mare recycled 97.5% of all waste.
- Store heating and lighting are controlled by a computerised Building Management System (BMS). This minimises energy consumption by adapting to external temperatures and lighting levels;
- The chilled food cabinets incorporate night blinds which trap the chilled air and reduce energy consumption overnight;
- Our refrigeration plant has low carbon emissions ratings and operates without the need for CFCs;
- All lighting in the warehouse and staff welfare areas is controlled with motion sensors, ensuring that electricity consumption is strictly controlled;
- When the building is occupied by staff only (with no customers), the lighting system is powered down to only use one out of every three fluorescent tubes;
- The car park lighting is switched off overnight, and is controlled by a Lux sensor during trading hours.
2016/2017 Statistics – Regional Distribution Centre, WSM
- WSM Recycling percentage – 95%;
- Over 10,300 tonnes of cardboard and paper recycled;
- Over 450 tonnes of plastic recycled;
- Over 370 tonnes of metal recycled;
- In addition, wood, ceramics, and glass were also recycled;
- Company target for 2017/18 is 93%.